Thursday, July 9, 2009

Living the Freelance Life


I faced a hard decision when I got laid off. Follow my heart and spend the summer enjoying the sun, traveling, and wedding planning. Be responsible and start severely looking for my next career move. Or I could find a way to support myself and take some time off.

My decision wasn't really made by me; more it kind of presented itself. After I got laid off I probably sent out 150 emails to my entire rolodex asking if anyone knew of any rocking opportunities. Not surprisingly, not many did, or at least not in my area. So, a few kind an pitying souls offered me something else.

Acquaintances Rick at SAM Magazine (Ski Area Management) and Brad at SkiCoupons.com offered to give me some writing projects for their respective mediums. Which is pretty funny, considering I haven't ever really been known for my writing skills and I haven't really written much in two years. I never really consider my writing a skill, as I feel everyone should know how to write, I guess not everyone does though.

Anyhow, the problem now isn't the lack of things to do or write, its actually having the discipline to get them done. My SAM article is due July 15 and the articles for SkiCoupons are due as I write them, which means I am slacking hard core. I've never claimed to be very disciplined on my own; this is the reason I don't know how to play an instrument or know another language. I've never even taken an online class or anything. I know I need to go somewhere to get something done. Thus, I've never really considered freelancing as a permanent gig.

Although the life of a freelancer is appealing (especially once I become a mom), it's not something I really want to do forever, which makes it perfect until I find a job I love after the wedding.

For now, I'll take any kindness anyone can offer. I love when (almost) strangers reach out. I also love having the time to get everything else done that I love.

**Nerd Alert** 'Cause I'm FREE.... Freelancing!

1 comment:

  1. Very often, your cover letter will be the first thing that a recruiter looks at when he sits down to do that all-important first sift. It is your first opportunity to leave a lasting and favorable impression and as such it should work every bit as hard as your resume, if not more so, to convince him that you are the best match for the job. Remember, the employer is looking for a really outstanding candidate and if your cover letter is in any way sub-standard or does nothing to tempt him into reading your resume, then he will not waste any further time on your application.

    ReplyDelete