Sunday, June 7, 2009

And you do the hokey pokey....


I've kind of ignored this economy until I got laid off. I never thought it was that bad because I don't really have any assets and I only knew a few people that were jobless. Now I've taken on a more "woe is me" status.

But enough moaning. It doesn't really help any situation. I need to take some action.

Right now, its pretty naive to think that I could move my career in the online ski media world any further up. As everyone knows, no one is hiring and I really shouldn't get my hopes up. Instead, I kind of want to take this opportunity to do something fun in my life. I should do the hokey pokey and instead of trying to move up, I should move sideways and put my left foot in.

I've always been jealous of my friends that have had the freedom and ability to travel to far flung places for months at a time. I studied abroad in college, but they've taken it further. I had a friend who was a raft guide in Argentina for six months. I have two friends who are teaching abroad in Hungary and Chile right now. How cool is that?

This kind of traveling isn't really a possibility for me. Why? Well, I found the man of my dreams and don't plan on leaving him anytime soon. I'd much rather do something uncool with him here than something really cool without him there.

That doesn't mean I can't do something awesome right now. I can be a ski bum next season. I can nanny and write blogs all summer. I can go to pasty school and be a baker like I've always secretly wanted to be. The possibilities are endless.

Which is another problem of itself. What the heck should I do with my life? Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. Getting laid off sucks. I got laid off back in January. That said, you can now do something you never thought could be a job--cake decorator, tour guide, whatever you can make into a personal business. You can set up web sites for businesses in the area as a freelance gig. Getting laid off is much more freeing than it seems, so I wish you the best in making the most of it and let me know if I can help in any way.
    Tina Trenkner

    ReplyDelete