Friday, June 5, 2009

You, Me and the Ranch Makes Three



When most people get married, they make a life long commitment to one person. Sometimes that commitment includes the family (especially if the Mother-in-law is a little crazy). Not often does that commitment include a place.

Well, when my fiance and I get hitched in September, I will undoubtedly make a set-in-stone commitment to the HF Bar Ranch. Yeah, I've already dedicated a portion of my life to this dude ranch in northern Wyoming, but when we get married there, I'm never getting away.

You see, the ranch is special. It's the second oldest dude ranch in the country, so traditions run deep. Every family that has been there has been going for generations. The way I found the place was kind of an anomaly as I found it through a friend of a friend of a friend. Mr. Snow (my blogosphere name for the fiancee) has been going there since he was six years old. I am definitely a fluke.



For example, one of my favorite stories of the ranch is about a family called the "C's." They have been going for probably over 50 years. Two years ago, the whole "C" clan was there for great grandpa C's birthday. Great conversation was flowing around the family dinner table. People were laughing, eating and just enjoying the place and the company. Mr. C (who was in his late 90s at this point) excused himself. He ended up taking a short walk to the Horton House (the original house on the property) and sat on its front stairs. What I think happened was he took a deep breath, sat back and let himself pass away to the Great Unknown. His family found him, in what I think is the best possible place and way to die. I wish I lead that full of a happy life and pass away at the place I love.

You see, once you go Ranch, you never go back.

Only a handful of the people that will be attending our wedding have been to the ranch. I would argue that even less have truly experienced its charm and draw. A couple of our vistors think its too "rustic" (aka rundown) to really enjoy. I think it's perfect. Mr.Snow and I had our first kiss there. We shared our first space, meal, and conversations there. When we fell in love there, we fell in love with the ranch as well.

So it looks like there will be three characters in this wedding show. Of course, Mr. Snow and I will be the main players, but the ranch's personality will come out in every part of the event. When our guests come out to the ranch in September, I hope they not only support the commitment Mr. Snow and I are making to each other but fall in love with this place the way I did five years ago.

I mean, not all commitments are bad, right?

all photos by Justin Casey. He's crazy talented, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment