Thursday, June 4, 2009

You've Got to Accentuate the Positive...

"and eliminate the negative. Latch on to the affirmative and don't mess with mister in between."

I'm not sure if those are the exact lyrics to that song, but I like them and think they work just fine for my cause.

I got laid off from my dream job on May 22. It came as quite a shock to me as I thought I would be moving into busier and more involved role when I was told a meeting was scheduled for that Friday. I had turned down a job interview for that Thursday for a former organization of mine, not wanting to lead them on when I thought I would be moving up in my company. That was mistake number one. After I got laid off, I immediately called the interviewer back and asked for a spot back. They graciously offered it to me for that afternoon. Let's just say that Friday was busier than I expected to be.

A week went by before I heard of any news. That week was rough, but I had something I thought I could look forward to. I figuratively put all my eggs in this basket as I avoided looking for any other job. That was mistake number two. They didn't offer it to me and now I'm back to square one looking anywhere for a job that I'll like half as much as I did my original dream job.

I don't mean to moan and begrudge the unfortunate experiences in the last week. I want to look on the bright side of what I do have and what I can offer.

Let's start with the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am marrying my wonderful fiance in September. A life with him is a dream come true and I should be incredibly thankful for that.

I have a great support group. My friends, family, and future in-laws have been overwhelmingly supportive. They are there for me and I love that.

This is a sweet opportunity to take advantage of some true time off. There is nothing in the world right now telling me I have to stick to my original career path. I can totally go work somewhere silly this summer and then be a ski instructor this winter. I mean the economy right now certainly isn't pushing me towards a real job.

Not to mention I'm smart, eager, energetic, organized, and enthusiastic. I'm swell. Hire me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment